History of Quinninup
Stacks Image 411
Stacks Image 413
Stacks Image 415
Stacks Image 437
Stacks Image 439
Stacks Image 441
Stacks Image 443
Stacks Image 447
Stacks Image 445
Stacks Image 449

The 1930‘s and 40‘s witnessed a high demand for local Karri and Jarrah hardwood timber and in 1944 under private ownership the town was bought “lock stock and barrel” by Millars Timber and Trading Company.

​ Construction of a steam-powered timber mill began along with locomotive sheds, office buildings, cottages to house workers, a worker’s club (now the Quinninup Tavern) and community buildings together with a school by 1949.

​ The first log was pulled out in 1946….in it’s timber milling hey day the Quinninup township grew to over 250 people and the timber mill was said to be the biggest in the state.

​ By the 1980’s timber milling was in decline and in 1982 Millars Timber and Trading closed the mill and it was sold to a private developer.

​ Some structures, including some of the worker’s houses and the hall were dismantled and sold. However, most of the houses, the workers’ club, school and store remain.

The old mill houses and the new houses on the bush-blocks surrounding Karri Lake are now homes to the residents of Quinninup.

© 2022 Quinninup Community Association Inc

ABN: 29 564 565 867 - IARN: A0824490U

The Quinninup Community Association acknowledges the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People as the original custodians of this country, recognizing their connection to land, waters and community. We respect their cultures and Elders, past and present.

"Ngala kaaditj Pibelman Noongar moort keyen kaadak nidja boodja.”

We acknowledge Pibelman Noongar people as the original custodians of the land on which we live.

Images courtesy of: Fritz Nabholz | Mick Hill | Tom Chvojka | Wendy Eiby | Ian Grose | Scott Frankel © 'Quinninup Naturally' graphic and design by permission from RapidWebSites.